Functions of Human Liver
- Liver is the powerhouse of body. It is the main organ of metabolism i.e. it involves, series of breaking down and making up of chemical reactive and generation of energy. If one were to compare our body to a train, then liver would be its engine.
- Liver performs many important functions that are essential for a healthy body as follows –
- Liver covert food into chemicals necessary for life and growth.
- Liver processes and removes drugs, alcohol and other substances generated in body that may be harmful.
- Liver produces Bile, a yellowish-greenish fluid that is stored in the gall bladder and secreted into the bowel. Bile is necessary for the absorption of fats and vitamins
- Liver manufactures important proteins that are necessary for normal blood clotting and building muscle.
- Liver maintains hormonal balances.
- Liver store important vitamins.
The liver is in the right upper abdomen. The liver serves many functions, including the detoxification of substances delivered to it from the intestines, and the synthesis of many proteins.
A liver transplant may be recommended for:
- liver damage due to alcoholism (Alcoholic cirrhosis)
- primary biliary cirrhosis
- long-term (chronic) active infection (hepatitis)
- liver (hepatic) vein clot (thrombosis)
- birth defects of the liver or bile ducts (biliary atresia)
- metabolic disorders associated with liver failure (e.g., Wilson's disease)
Liver failure causes many problems, including malnutrition, problems with blood clotting, bleeding form the gastrointestinal tract, and jaundice. Frequently, patients who undergo liver transplantation are quite ill, and require hospitalization in the Intensive Care Unit prior to surgery. A large, upper abdominal transverse incision is used for liver transplant.
Liver transplants are performed in many centers across the country. The healthy liver is obtained either from a living donor or from a donor who has recently died but has not suffered liver injury. In the second case the healthy liver is transported in a cooled saline solution that preserves the organ for up to 8 hours, thus permitting the necessary analysis to determine blood and tissue donor-recipient matching. The diseased liver is removed through an incision made in the upper abdomen. The new liver is put in place and attached to the patient's blood vessels and bile ducts. The operation can take up to 12 hours to complete and requires large volumes of blood transfusions.
Patients require hospital care for one to four weeks after liver transplant, depending on the degree of illness. After liver transplantation, patients must take immunosuppressive medications for the rest of their lives to prevent immune rejection of the transplanted organ.
Consult regarding all your problems related Liver Disease, Liver Transplant, Living Donor, Cadaveric Donor, Pre-Transplant Preparation, Peri or Post Transplant Care, Organ Transplant Act in India and abroad, Liver Transplant in India, China, Singapore etc.or any queries related to this field.
Send your latest following reports for an expert opinion by Dr. Jyotsna Verma:
CBC, LFT, PT(INR), S.Creatinine, Alpha Feto Protein (AFP)
USG/CT Scan Abdomen, Current Treatment / Medicine Chart
India Liver Transplant provides information on liver transplant in India and abroad, cost of liver transplant, success rate of liver transplant, liver transplant in China, liver transplant in Delhi, about pros and cons of liver surgery, treatment for common liver diseases, cirrhosis, jaundice, hepatitis, liver donor, risks to liver donor's life, cadaveric liver transplant, liver cancer treatment, liver transplant medicines, post liver transplant life, care, precautions and sucess rate, acute liver failure by India's most experienced liver transplant coordinator Jyotsna Verma who worked with pioneers of Liver transplant surgery in India, Dr. A. S. Soin, Dr. Samiran Nundy, Dr. Subash Gupta, Dr. Vivek Vij, Dr. Rahul Kakodkar, Dr. Vinay Kumaran, Dr. Mohammed Rela, Dr. Anand Ramamurthy, and worked with best liver transplant team at Liver Transplant Unit Sir Ganga Ram Hospital(SGRH), Institute of Liver Transplantation and Regenerative Medicines, Medanta - The Medicity, Gurgaon and Fortis Hospitals, NOIDA and has been to ILBS (Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences).
Last Update: 2015/09/24 Next Update Due:2015/10/25 Test Update(Japan, Korea, Switzerland and France) :2015/09/22-29
All rights reserved. Universal Copyrights (Sans USA) - 38911022 and 17914070 © (2012-2016)
[Liver Transplant in India]: Jyotsna Verma ( Liver Transplant Consultant(India) )
This page provides information on:
prevention of liver diseases, liver transplant hospital, organ donation, liver cancer, successful liver transplant, jaundice, hepatitis, liver failure, liver donation, cirrhosis, multi organ transplant, liver transplant specialist delhi, liver transplant specialist, liver surgery india, liver transplant surgery, post transplant care of liver donor, post transplant care of liver recipient, pre transplant preparation, liver diseases, liver transplant cost, cost of liver transplant, liver transplant coordinator, liver transplant consultant, liver transplant in delhi, liver transplant delhi, liver transplant india, Liver Transplant in New Delhi